Sunday, March 8, 2015

Interview with John Cimino of Grimlock



To start off the interview, can you tell me about what got you into hardcore and how Grimlock started?

John: I had a friend whom I grew up with (and recently started to hang out with again) that was in a band called the Lady Bug Smashers (who played with all the early Boston underground bands like Tree, Berzerker, Sam Black Church,etc.). Plus I liked the attention he got from it. Before that, I thought the bands that played on the radio and television were from a different reality. It never dawned on me that anyone could just start up a band and play lol.

Ironically, this kid introduced me to Matt Myrdal at a party and we became friends. Eventually me and Matt would create Grimlock a few years later.

What was the scene like whenever you guys started around your area? You guys are all from Mass, correct? 

John: The area we started in was Northhampton, MA. which was a goldmine for talent. All the great hardcore bands came out of there like Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, All That Remains, etc. Everyone hung out with each other and we were in various bands together. It wasn't hard for me to pick members that worked for the sound I wanted for Grimlock.

Plus we all lived right down the street from a club called Pearl Street that was a hotbed for heavy music on the East Coast at the time. All the bands from New England, New York, New Jersey, etc. came there to play. Even the bigger acts like Korn, GWAR, Henry Rollins, Danzig, Biohazard, Sick of it All and the like came through there and we all tried to get on those shows to play.

For me, Grimlock was one of the heaviest bands of it's time musically and lyrically. Can you tell me what influenced your sound?

John: You have to understand that it was 1994 and  hardcore music was getting a heavier metal sound with mosh beats and moving away from its punk roots. Everyone wanted to move the crowds and sound a little like Earth Crisis or Integrity. That's were Grimlock, Hatebreed, Holdstrong, After Shock, Overcast and the like were born and got our riffs. It came about which band could do it better than the others.

Are there any specific vocalists that inspired you to front a band?

John: My influences were a combination of three people. Phil Anselmo of Pantera had the voice and "tough guy" look that I emulated, Jim Morrison of the Doors had the lyrics and mystique and magnetism that I tried to project and Marky Mark had the physique I patterned mine after.

I've heard stories about how crazy Grimlock shows would get, could you tell me about any Grimlock shows that really stood out to you? What about your first show?

John: There is no doubt we were one of the craziest bands around when it came to intensity and showmanship. I couldn't tell you how many singers came up to me and asked me for advice (and a lot of the singers are in the big bands today). But I'll let this quote about us from a magazine tell it better than I could:

"Saw them in Toledo, the singer picked my friend up over his head and threw him into the crowd. He was also climbing on top of some of the arcade games in the venue during their set. I was really young and skinny. Seeing Grimlock in an uncontrolled environment was pretty frightening and awesome. The singer was raging HARD on some roids I'm sure."

After Crusades Of Reality you guys went on a bit of a hiatus between then and when Crusher came out, what was the reason behind that?

John: We were incredibly hard working and played everywhere. I wanted a break from the constant touring and from the other band members.

After Crusher came out how long were you guys around?

John: After our third and final album "Crusher" came out in 2003, we did a small tour through America and it was highly successful. We were primed and ready for the big time and big money because the music was starting to break into the mainstream. We all could feel the shift. But my girlfriend at the time got pregnant and I wanted to see the birth of my daughter and be with her. Predictably, it didn't go over well with the other band members. But I did it for me and it still remains to this day, the best decision I ever made. Words cannot describe the happiness I felt when I held my daughter in my arms.

What's your personal favorite Grimlock release/track? Why?

John: Crusher is our definitive album and I consider it our only album because I hate the others (I don't even own them). I also think it's one of the best hardcore albums period. We had our best lineup during that time so musically we killed it. I do wonder how good our next album would've been because we were on a creative roll.

I've heard  that Knives Out Records from Europe is doing a reissue for you guys, any info on that?

John: I don't know much about it. Get me a record and a shirt if you can.

What's life like for you now?  Do you still keep in contact with any of the other members?

John: Today I write for three national comic magazines; ALTER EGO, BACK ISSUE, and THE JACK KIRBY COLLECTOR from TwoMorrows Publishing. I'm a comic and collectibles dealer (I do all the comic conventions all over the country) and a collectible public speaker and appraiser. But most of all, I'm a proud father.

I still get offers every few months to play gigs, sing on albums or at weddings (which I think is hilarious), invitations to concerts, etc. but I out of the scene today. No matter how much money I'm offered, it's just not my thing anymore. The part I like is when new bands contact me and send me their versions of Grimlock songs that they play. I like that and it's great that our music is still out there in the world.

I only keep minimal contact with my ex-band mates. We are all FB friends, but that's it. I'm not really close to them any more.

I appreciate you taking the time to do this interview! Is there anything you'd like to add?

John: In the words of Vincent Van Gogh: As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live.

And I have lived my friend...

1 comment: